Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Spring Cleaning

Storage Unit (3 of 3)Image by merfam via Flickr
I just got back from an extra long weekend up north for Thanksgiving. It seemed to be just in time to get out of New York for a little while. I always reach a point when I need to have some kind of catharsis from NYC. Don't get me wrong, there's nowhere else quite like New York. But I have to admit, sometimes I crave little old Rhode Island and the simpler things in life.

Speaking of simpler things in life, here I go again with the luh-luh-luhhhh uh forget it, you know what I'm talking about. If you've been reading my blog for any period of time, you've been with me for some of the ups and definitely the downs on the topic of l-o-v-e. If I spell it out, it's not as hard to say.

It's pretty miserable out today weather-wise...rainy, windy, and just downright scary to be outside. Accordingly, I took the day to clean my poor, neglected apartment. With all the work I've been getting and then traveling, my apartment was starting to resemble a storage unit instead of a residence. I even took some extra time to put out my Christmas decorations so I'm feeling pretty accomplished.

As I threw out a ton of unnecessary paperwork, old magazines, and newspapers, it got me thinking. It doesn't take much to get my brain whirling, but the act of cleaning my apartment made me think of cleaning out other aspects of my life. Lately, I've found certain people and things to be particularly heavy and adding to the collection of clutter that only weighs me down. I simply can't be everything to everyone...despite my best efforts. Accordingly, I'm doing a little extra "spring" cleaning to free my mind and my spirit of all the things that are keeping me from being the best version of me that I can be. I'm not directing this blog at anyone or anything in particular (at least no one that I know that reads this blog)...just airing my brain out a bit as I air out my throw rugs.

You might wonder how any of this refers back to what I started saying about love. Well, if you've read my blog about recycling (aka going green), you'll understand the importance of throwing things away once and for all. And while I'm not quite at that point yet, I feel like I'm at my breaking point one way or another. Will I take the final step in my spring cleaning? I'll keep you posted.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment